Friday, March 14, 2008

Jane Eyre


Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Bronte
Genre: Classic
Pages: 488
Date Finished: 14 March 2008
My Rating: 3 Stars

When I was about 12 years old I picked up a copy of Jane Eyre from a display at the library. It was the first "adult" book that I read. Up until then I was still reading pretty juvenile books, Babysitter's Club etc. I loved Jane Eyre and it started me on my fascination with classic books. I started to trade all my teeny-bopper books (as my dad called them) at the local paperback book store for classics like Dickens and Hemingway etc. I've always remembered Jane Eyre as a great book and listed it as a favorite. After reading it again, I can honestly say that I have no idea how my 12 year old self ever fell in love with this book, much less even finished it!
I had the hardest time reading this book. I just could not concentrate on it and often found my mind wandering and my eyes glazing over. It is a very wordy book. There were so many long passages where nothing happened. Eventually I just started skimming these passages, trying to keep myself from yelling "get. on. with. the. story!"
Jane Eyre is a very morally strong character but I just did not care for her. She was boring and seemed void of strong emotion or passion through most of the story. I also did not much care for the character of Mr. Rochester. I don't see how or why Jane fell in love with him.
It was not until the 3rd volume that I started to care but that might be attributed to the fact that I was excited to be so close to the end of the story. I did like the ending, if that means anything.

1 comment:

Rebecca Reid said...

I'm opposite from you: I read it at 13 and was disgusted with the romance: Mr. Rochester was old!!! I just finished rereading and I loved it. I think it is just beautifully written and I just love Jane and Mr. Rochester. They are perfect for each other.

It's interesting how our ages make books different for us, huh.