Friday, March 28, 2008

Culinary Reading Challenge

I told myself that I was not going to sign up for any more reading challenges because I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed and that is not the feeling I want to have when it comes to reading. Well, I found this challenge and I could not resist because it seems to have been made for me! :-)
It is called Soup's On! and is being hosted by Ex Libris.
Here is how it works:

"This challenge will run from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009. All you have to do is select six cookbooks to read* and make at least one of the recipes. These can be any cookbooks of your choice - brand new ones, old stand-bys that you can't live (or cook) without, or even heirlooms. You do not have to decide on the cookbooks ahead of time (unless you want to, of course). Then post your reviews either here or on your own blog. If you want, you can even post pictures of your creations along with your reviews!
*You don't have to read each individual recipe. Just read enough to give an overview of the book."

How fun will this be! You can go over to the challenge page and sign up if you are interested.

I have not picked at list of cookbooks yet. I will probably use The Amish Cook by Elizabeth Coblentz with Kevin Williams and a Paula Dean cookbook. I love Paula Dean and get recipes from her website all the time but have not read one of her cook books yet. Since grilling season is upon us I will probably also use Weber's Real Grilling by Jamie Purviance.

2 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

What a great idea! I have learned so much from reading cookbooks. When I was first married, I spent so much time reading The New Best Recipe. It has so much information on how they experimented and methodically developed each recipe. It's amazing! But if you don't have much time, I wouldn't recommend it for the challenge, since it's quite hefty and there is a large proportion of text to recipes. And because it's so interesting you won't want to put it down.

Chain Reader said...

Oh, my goodness! Don't tempt me with this challenge. It sounds like so much fun. Right now I am in the midst of trying every single recipe in a little crockpot cookbook. The sad thing is I've only found a couple of recipes out of 30-something that I would ever make again!