Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Book of a Thousand Days

Title: Book of a Thousand Days
Author: Shannon Hale
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Pages: 306
Date Finished: 18 March 2008
My Rating: 4 Stars

"Mama used to say, you have to know someone a thousand days before you can glimpse her soul."

If I had not started blogging and reading other blogs I don't think I would have ever read a Shannon Hale book. I'd never even heard of her until I read reviews of her books on the Internet. But about 20 or so pages into my first Shannon Hale book I thought, uh-oh, I don't think I am going to like this book. I've heard so much about Shannon Hale and her books but I'm not gonna like them. The problem is that I have never been a fan of fantasy, but before I knew it I was half way through the book and totally engrossed in the story. I stayed up until after 1:00 last night so I could finish reading it.
Here is what the publisher says about Book of a Thousand Days:
"When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a tower for seven years for Saren’s refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment. As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. But the arrival outside the tower of Saren’s two suitors—one welcome, and the other decidedly less so—brings both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desperate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows."
I become engrossed in the story because I really wanted to know what was going to happen to these girls and for the most part I really liked Dashti's voice as she wrote in her diary. A great deal of the book was a bit predictable but even though I could guess what was going to happen, it did not make the story any less enjoyable to read. At times, I did feel that Dashti used language and phrases that were a bit modern and western and therefor felt foreign and misplaced in this tale. And there were some parts that seemed a bit contrived and hokey but overall I really enjoyed this book. Book of a Thousand Days is a wonderful story about love, friendship, family and loyalty for young or even not so young readers.
"More than a thousand days we've been together, more than a thousand songs I've sung for her, and only now, I think, do I see Saren truly begin to heal."
Both girls ended up just where they should have.

4 comments:

Joy said...

Glad to read that you liked this one, Jeanette. I have it on my list to read for the YA Challenge.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I loved this book, as I have almost everything Shannon Hale writes. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

Maw Books said...

You would think that since Shannon Hale lives in SLC where I am as well that I would have heard about her sooner as well. But, like you, it had to be my introduction of the blogosphere to turn me onto Hale. I've since read this one, which I enjoyed and Austenland, which plays like a chick flick movie. I've got Princess Diary on hold at the library and am looking forward to it.

Nymeth said...

I don't think I'd have heard of Shannon Hale either if it wasn't for blogs, and now I strongly suspect she could become a new favourite author of mine. This one sounds excellent too!